Wunderbar Cookies

 This is not about the German expression “Wunderbar” which means “wonderful” in English but Cadbury Canada’s popular candy bar- Wunderbar. It happens to be my favorite so I had mixed emotions as I said goodbye to my last six bars for my weekend "delicious endeavor".  You may think I’m silly- they’re just chocolate bars- but not Wunderbar!  First off, they’re not available in the US and who knows when I’m going to get my next stash from my benefactor/fairy godmother from Canada?  But then, I told myself I’m using these candy bars for a good cause. I’m making cookies as a late birthday treat for one of the coolest people I’ve known; the best co-worker/friend I ever had.  So goodbye Wunderbar, let’s make someone’s tummy happy! 
This is how they look when cut lengthwise!
And this is how I made them cookies!

Wunderbar Cookies

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 extra-large eggs
2 sticks unsalted butter; softened ( I used 8 oz. Kerrygold unsalted butter)
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Roughly chop Wunderbar into little pieces- set aside
3. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Whisk together flour and baking soda. Set aside.
5. In a stand up mixer or using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
6. Beat in the eggs one at a time followed by the vanilla extract. Make sure to scrape the sides and the bottom of the bowl.  Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Fold in the chopped Wunderbar pieces.
7. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours before baking
8. For each cookie, drop 1 rounded tablespoonful of dough onto sheet, spacing 1-inch or so apart (do not flatten dough).
9. Bake until the cookies are golden about 16 minutes.

10. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for a few minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely,
See the gooey caramel and chocolate oozed out from some of the cookies.  I think I should’ve stuffed the cookie dough them with the chopped Wunderbar pieces instead of folding everything into the dough. Oh well- some gooey dramatic effect just happened there but did not affect the taste whatsoever!  And Birthday Boy was ecstatic!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts