Blueberry-Ricotta Pancake Revisited

Summer officially starts today and since we have so many blueberries in the fridge, I thought blueberry pancakes would be a nice "Welcome Summer" breakfast.  I'm using my old recipe inspired by the famous BLD Blueberry-Ricotta Pancake featured in one of the episodes of The Best Thing I Ever Ate. I love these light and fluffy pancakes and how fresh blueberries really go well with ricotta cheese.  Finally, I have more appreciation for ricotta cheese and it has become one of my must-have cheeses in the fridge.

Blueberry-Ricotta Pancakes

Ingredients
1 1/12 cups all-purpose flour
4 tbsp sugar
3 tsp. baking powder 
1/2 tsp. salt
4 jumbo eggs, separated (I used 5 extra large eggs)
1 1/4 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
fresh blueberries
3/4 cup ricotta cheese 
It starts by whisking together egg yolks and ricotta cheese in a bowl until there are no cheese bits remaining yet making sure the batter does not become over liquefied
Add 4 tablespoons of sugar, pinch of salt, pure vanilla extract and buttermilk
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
Add to the egg mixture and stir until no lumps remain
The result is a somewhat thick batter 
Separately, whip the egg whites for about 4 minutes or until stiff.
Fold the whites into the batter and stir gently until uniformly combined. Let stand for 5 minutes.
 Preheat the griddle to medium heat. Using the half cup measuring cup, pour batter onto the lightly-greased griddle.  I used my nonstick pan. Add blueberries to each pancake and cook for roughly 2 minutes on each side, or until the pancakes are golden-brown and cooked through.
Re-grease the pan or griddle with canola oil before cooking each pancake.
Stack on a serving plate, garnish with blueberries and serve with butter and maple syrup.

Comments

Popular Posts