Saying goodbye to October ... one more late post

This could have been my month ender and I know we're on the second week of November already but I have unfinished business I need to deal with before I can welcome November with a smile.  At least, allow me to do a recap of my special October moments ...

OCTOBER BIRTHDAYS AND CAKES 

Happy Birthday Claudia!  As requested, I made her Virgin PiñColada Tres Leches Birthday Cake- sans rum makes it virgin right?  But it has young coconut, pineapple chunks and maraschino cherries atop the luscious sponge cake bathed in tres leches and real coconut milk.  
In a better setting, I would serve her with a slice in a dessert glass complete with a decorative mini umbrella .  But we're at work on a 30-minute or so break;  see, we put just one candle to save time and so they could dig in sooner. I'll surely do an encore of this cake just to post a better presentation.

It's my BFF's birthday too!  For him, it was Coconut Tres Leches.  Obviously, my October born homies love tres leches cake and it is my calling to please :-)
I don't know what happened but I made the same cake for another co-worker but unfortunately, we didn't take any pictures when she cut her cake. :-(  She requested the cake months ago and initially it was mango tres leches but since mangoes are not in season, she asked for coconut and she loved it. 

WHAT'S NEW IN MY KITCHEN/LIBRARY
Found these at Marukai and thought they're a better fit for my karaage.  The chicken turned out a little dark for my liking.  I'll stick to my seasoned potato starch from now on
While I was not impressed with the boxed mixture, my Asian Cole Slaw saved the day.  I could eat this everyday- crunch crunch all the way with the fresh veggies and the dressing is so delicious.  It is the perfect blend of nutty, sweet, salty, tangy and spicy. This is how I made it.

Asian Cole Slaw with Creamy  Peanut Butter and Ginger Dressing
adapted from http://allrecipes.com 


INGREDIENTS: 

For the dressing:
6 tbsp rice wine vinegar
6 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
5 tbsp creamy peanut butter
3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
3 tbsp  minced fresh ginger root
1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic

For the Cole Slaw
5 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
2 cups shredded Napa cabbage
2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
2 carrots, julienned
6 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro








Directions:
1.
In a blender, pulse together the rice vinegar, oil, peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, red pepper flakes and garlic until smooth and creamy.
2.
In a large bowl, mix the green cabbage, red cabbage, Napa cabbage, red bell peppers, carrots, green onions, and cilantro. Toss with the peanut butter mixture just before serving
 PRESENTS FROM THE FAIRIES
One more from my favorite AB 
Yipee... a bread machine!  Ms K told me I don't need one coz' I've been making bread for years without a bread maker but I still want one!

So there- goodbye October- next up....  Welcome November!

Comments

Popular Posts