Poffertjes

Don’t be fooled- these are not my version of the American silver dollar pancakes rather the result of my futile search for Kamir Cake recipe.  The pancake gods must have conspired against me or had better things in store for me so they led me to this traditional Dutch treat called poffertjes.  

From what I've read poffertjes use the same ingredients as Kamir cake like apf, buckwheat flour, eggs, butter, yeast and milk,  So it had me thinking the pancake gods wanted me to try this recipe for now.  A special pan is also used to make these but the I was encouraged because the author of the recipe didn't use a poffertje pan either.  I guess we're of the same can't be deprived mold.  


Poffertjes 

Ingredients:
1 level tsp instant yeast
1 tbsp milk
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 extra large eggs
1 tbsp sugar
a pinch of salt
unsalted butter to moisten the pan
sifted powdered sugar, whipped cream and strawberries to serve

Preparation: 
In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in milk.  In a separate bowl, combine flours, eggs, yeast, sugar, salt and half the milk.  Whisk until smooth.  Add remaining milk and beat again.  Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and allow to rest for an hour.  Melt butter in a non-stick pan over medium low heat.   Add teaspoonfuls of the batter in circular movement to create mini pancakes.  Turn the poffertjes around as soon as bottom has set using two forks.  Serve with strawberries, whipped cream and a dusting of powdered sugar.

The pancakes came out really good,  They are chewy-soft with a nutty taste from the buckwheat and a welcome new pancake experience. I just served it with good butter and sifted powdered sugar and they are delicious.  I saw other recipes online and the results are more puffed little beauties and they use baking powder in the batter which is just like our regular American pancake.  I think I have to let the thick batter rest overnight to yield puffier pancakes.  By the way, I ordered a pan from eBay to have a real Dutch Poffertjes experience.  I must confess it just dawned on me that I was going crazy looking for a Kamir Cake recipe when I don't even have the pan for it.  

Comments

Popular Posts