Homemade Twinkies

First, let me introduce the latest addition to my growing Baking Pan Fam- a Norpro Cream Canoe Pan!  Yes, who's gonna miss Twinkies when I have this to make my own?  The truth is, I don't even like Twinkies.  But I love the concept of a sponge cake with whipped cream or custard filling although I want it in a certain way.  There's the thought that I could make these cuties better or in such a way that pleases my picky self.  

So this canoe pan has been on my "to buy" list for quite sometime and I had to really make it happen because Ms JC requested Twinkies for her birthday. Amazon did not disappoint me as I got the pan before the birthday so I have all the time in the world to make Ms JC's birthday treat.

Here's Ms JC's Birthday Twinkies my way:
Ingredients:
For the cake batter
6 extra large eggs, separated
1 cup cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup caster sugar-sifted and divided into three
3/4 stick unsalted butter
2 tbsp whole milk
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
a pinch of salt 

Directions:
Preheat oven into 350 degrees F
Sift together the cake flour, baking powder, 1/4 cup caster sugar and salt- set aside
Microwave milk and butter for about 45 secs or until butter melts and the mixture is warm- set aside 
In an electric mixer with a fitted whisk, place the egg whites and cream of tartar and beat until frothy
Gradually add 1/4 cup caster sugar and continue beating until stiff.  Stir in vanilla and transfer to another bowl
Replace the whisk with the paddle and add the egg yolks and the last 1/4 cup caster sugar to the same bowl
Beat until thick and the color becomes pale yellow, about 5 minutes
Fold 1/4 of the egg white into the yolk mixture and the rest.
Sift flour mixture over egg mixture then fold until well incorporated.
Pour the warm melted butter into the center of the bowl and fold
Using an ice cream scoop, fill each cavity with the batter- about 1 1/4 scoops ( I used a medium sized scoop)
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until cake springs back when gently pressed.  You will also notice the cake loosening a little bit on the sides
Ms JC loves vanilla custard or pastry cream so I had that in mind as the filling plus some with the classic whipped cream.
For the vanilla custard filling:

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup half and half
2 extra large egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp plus 2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp unsalted butter


Directions:
In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, whisk together half and half, sugar and cornstarch until it comes to a boil.  In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks then slowly whisk in half of the hot mixture.  Pour the custard back into the saucepan and cook; whisking until it thickens into a pudding consistency.  Transfer into another bowl, cover with Saran wrap and refrigerate for an hour before using. 
 

Classic Whipped Cream Filling

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cup very cold heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Directions:
Using an electric mixer, whip together heavy cream and powdered until thick and glossy.
Add in pure vanilla and stir
Refrigerate if not ready to use, otherwise transfer to a pastry bag fitted with decorative tip ( I used the Wilton #5 tip with a coupler)   

To fill the Twinkies:
You can either make and incision on the side or poke the flat side with a skewer. I did six pokes just to have more filling 
   I also flavored half of the whipped cream with strawberry
Here's how they look when sliced- soft like clouds... and none of that shortening after taste in the filling; none of that cloying sweetness- the way I want my Twinkies!
Note:
Unfortunately, I was not able to take pictures of the custard filled ones I gave Ms JC.  They're also topped with chocolate ganache so they look like chocolate eclairs.  I have some which I made using a mini loaf pan just because I have some batter left but I only have one canoe pan.

Comments

  1. Thank you for the compliment:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were the most deelishy "junk food" twinkies I've ever eaten. Thanks for the b-day present, Faye. Hostess has nothing on you, and yours will have a shelf life of an eternity on my tastebuds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing I pleased you pleased me more! Nothing is more fulfilling than seeing first hand how you react when I presented those Twinkies to you!

      Delete
  3. When you’re considering food products to sell online, wholesalers rice in USA may not seem like the “sexy” choice, but hear me out. Rice is a staple food for more than half of the world’s population. It’s also one of the most popular grains in the U.S

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts