Mango & Lime Sorbet


After creating my raspberry-mint granita with a sorbet like texture, I am suddenly inspired to make a real sorbet. I still have left over mangoes from the chamango I made over the weekend and I realized I probably bought extra for this purpose. Let me tell you something about sorbet first and how different it is from granita. Not a whole lot actually. Sorbet is another frozen dessert made from puréed fruit and simple syrup or other flavorings of herbs and spices just like granita except that the puree is whipped to give it a lighter texture.

Making sorbet is easy and even easier when you have the ingredients ready. I have the simple syrup ready which is another left over from the granita. Now that I think about it, it pays to have extra in the fridge since obviously I’ll be making more frozen concoctions this summer.

Anyway, after puréeing the mango with the simple syrup, I tasted it and felt like I want a little tartness in it. I always like my mangoes with a little of that anyway – not a fan of straight sweet mango. So I added lime juice and there, I finally got the taste I want. I transferred the sorbet batter into a plastic container and half froze it before I transferred it to my ice cream maker for whipping.


Oh, and I almost forgot, while I was reading posts from other bloggers about their sorbet making experiences I made mental notes of their woes like ice formation or crystallization and not having that creamy texture so there are suggestions like adding a little alcohol to avoid it. Well, I didn’t have to do that because my sorbet came out really creamy and seeing it sticking, clinging to the walls of my ice cream maker as it churns; I was so excited and ecstatic like a little kid. I scooped a little and it was like frozen yogurt! So taste - check; texture another check. I'm so happy! Now it's time to let you know how I made it.


Mango & Lime Sorbet

Ingredients:
4 cups fresh mangos purée (about 4 large ripe mangoes cut into cubes and pureed in a blender)
¼ cup simple syrup – add more according to taste (recipe from granita recipe)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (add some more according to taste)

Directions:
Put all the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. (I half froze the puree first then whipped it later in the ice cream maker then back to the freezer in a container with tight lid)

Next project is sherbet!

Notes: 6/29 6:49 pm

My 32 ounce freezer jar was only 3/4 full but enough to be shared with my girlfriends at work. I served the sorbet in plastic party wine glasses garnished with slices of lime. Not that pretty but yummy! :-)

Comments

Popular Posts