Chunky Guacamole Dip


Weekend grocery shopping was pretty exciting. A lot of fruits in season are on sale and they're at their best this time of the year. Even Haas avocados are on sale for 4 pieces for 99 cents. They’re quite small but still a good deal. So I bought some with no immediate use for the fruit in mind.

I think K set the tone for the craving when she brought her scrumptious guacamole dip the next day and guess what, she got her avocados even cheaper- 8 pieces for a dollar! Yet she has that teeny weeny container which she shared with us over lunch- of course I wished there's more. But wait, I have avocados at home too! So there, I can put them to use- wait till I get home.

It was quite a stretch till I get home and I forgot all about it. Until I was watching Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations in his Baja episode. I suddenly remember my avocados after seeing him feast on all those Mexican sinfulness and I had to make the guacamole to at least have some chips. Not even a tenth of what AB had but that will do.

Making guacamole dip is easy. Just chop, mash, season, fold and enjoy! I love it chunky so I added more tomatoes and onion; a little more heat and little more lemon juice to balance it out. And not to forget chopped cilantro to add freshness. My dip is ready in less than thirty minutes.
I almost freaked out when I couldn't find any tortilla chips. I could deep fry some fresh tortillas but that's another delay. I guess my craving was meant to be satisfied sooner because I was able to find a little bag of corn tortillas and soon I had my teeth on its crunchy goodness with my delicious guacamole dip.

Here's how I made it ...
Chunky Guacamole Dip

Ingredients:

2 cups avocado, halved, seeded and peeled
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (add more if you want more heat)
1/2 purple onion, diced
3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 clove garlic, minced

Directions
In a large bowl place the scooped avocado and lemon juice, toss to coat
Drain, and reserve the lemon juice, after all of the avocados have been coated
Using the back of a fork add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash
Then, fold in the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic
Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lemon juice and stir
Let sit for an hour at room temp before serving
Refrigerate any left over in a container with lid

Notes:
Lime can be used instead of lemon and vice versa
Chopped jalapeno pepper can be used instead of cayenne pepper or both

Comments

Popular Posts