Lobster (Mac) Cavatappi & Cheese


Always prepare for unexpected- that's what mom always say- or better yet, prepare for the worst. Things have their way of turning the opposite way just when you are so inclined or desperately need to do something. Exactly what happened when no elbow macaroni is in sight at TJ's when I went last Saturday. And no langostinos (crawfish) either! But I can't allow these minor details derail my menu or I won't get my free massages from my best friend. Oh yes, that's me- cook or bake for free foot massage he he he.

So off to Fresh & Easy where still, no elbow macaroni. But look what I got! Double elbows or cavatappi. Cute right? Just imagine all the cheesy, gooey goodness clinging to each pasta curl!
So the pasta alternative is settled. I have to use pure lobster meat now in lieu of the langostinos. Somehow I got a little bit of luck at Albertson's because they have both claws and tails and I decided on the first because its meat is more flavorful according to my favorite chefs.

I didn't know the shells are super hard to break but I managed somehow and got the meat out. I realized I didn't have a lot for the amount of cheese and pasta I have.

But that's okay, it will work out. And it did! It is a cheesy ensemble of mozzarella, Gruyere, sharp cheddar, Mascarpone and a little cream cheese for the creamy sauce with nutmeg and yellow mustard then topped with Panko bread crumbs sprinkled with 21 seasoning salute and melted unsalted butter baked just till the top is lightly golden.

I think someone should come forward and share their Lobster Cavatappi & Cheese experience he he.
The recipe is from an earlier post inspired by an episode of Bobby Flay's ThrowDown.

LOBSTER MAC & CHEESE

Ingredients:
kosher salt
vegetable oil
1 pound elbow macaroni
1 quart milk
1 stick unsalted butter, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
2 cups grated sharp Cheddar
1 cup Mascarpone cheese
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 pound cooked lobster meat
1 cup Panko bread crumbs

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain well and set aside
In a large pot, melt 6 tablespoons of butter and add the flour.
Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. Still whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth.
Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, Mascarpone and mozzarella, pepper, and nutmeg.
Add the cooked macaroni and lobster and stir well.
Spread the mixture in a buttered Pyrex dish
Sprinkle Panko bread crumbs evenly.
Drizzle with melted butter
Bake until the top is lightly golden- about 35 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts