Ricotta Cheese Zeppole


I found the recipe online and was immediately interested because of the picture. Mine were hollow inside while these ones are like Chinese doughnuts. I have to give it a try to find out which tastes better. This one does not use butter so in a way, healthier and has ricotta cheese as the name states. I did some adjustments like decreasing the baking powder by a teaspoon and adding an extra tablespoon sugar. I also mixed lemon zest to the confectioner's sugar which I used for dusting. I think I will add the lemon zest to the batter next time. I love the inside part because it is tender and I would liken it to a thick pancake with a crunchy shell and these needs to be consumed while warm.

Now if I am to judge which one tastes better, I really can’t decide right now. I think I will try to figure out how I can have the light and buttery exterior of the first one I made and the bread-like interior of these ones in one dough ball.

Ricotta Cheese Zeppole
Adapted from: seriouslygood.kdweeks.com

Ingredients:
2 qt vegetable oil for frying
1 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 pinch salt
3 tbsp granulated sugar
2 ea eggs
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 c powdered sugar for dusting
zest of a lemon

Method:
Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375F.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and nutmeg. In a small bowl thoroughly mix the eggs, ricotta cheese, and vanilla. Gently stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture until a sticky, fairly thick, batter forms.

Drop by tablespoons into the hot oil a few at a time. Fry until golden brown, about 3 or 4 minutes — the Zeppole will turn over by themselves. Drain paper towels and dust with confectioners’ sugar mixed with lemon zest. Serve warm.

Comments

Popular Posts