Fish & Fruit Night

I was so tired last night from all the kitchen activity – barely resting as soon as I got home from work so I wasn’t able to do my blog. I am serious when I said I will be back to the grind and stay as much I can. So last night, I started by baking the halibut my cousin brought from Alaska. She goes there regularly and would bring me salmon or halibut or king crabs. Before she left, I specifically requested for halibut- not the steaks but those huge chunks with bones. I think they’re more flavorful and I know exactly what to do with them. First, I wash each piece and let them sit in a strainer to drain them of water while I prepare my seasoning. It is a mixture of paprika, salt and pepper which I sprinkle to the fish evenly. I use a roasting pan which I line with aluminum foil and lightly moistened with olive oil. Then I arrange the halibut pieces with a drizzle of more olive oil on top. I seal it with another sheet of aluminum foil and it goes into the oven at 375 degrees for thirty minutes. The fish should be milk opaque by then so I then arrange the sliced tomatoes, spring onion and lemon slices on top and around the halibut and bake it for 15 minutes more or until the tomatoes are wilted. I love it served with soy sauce and lemon with steamed white rice. I love its firm, white meat and its delicately sweet flavor. Halibut is one of my favorites and I will gladly choose it over meat. It is so delicious and nutritious too.






So the fish business is taken care of. Now we go to the dessert menu. I told my friends at work that I am making corn muffins but I saw my yellow peaches and blueberries. The blueberries have become permanent residents of the fridge and they are so in need to be useful.
The peaches are a bit soft for my liking so no way I am going to eat them anymore. Let me tell you, I am picky with my fruits. I want crunchy apples, nectarines, peaches and grapes. I don’t like bananas with brown spots. I want them firm. So back to the peaches- I started peeling and slicing them still undecided on what to do with them although I was debating inside between a galette and a cobbler. Well, the galette won. And so I rummaged my freezer for my left over pie dough from my last peach cobbler.









Blueberry-Peach Galettte

Ingredients:

Pie crust (you can make your own or get the store-bought refrigerated pie dough such as Pillsbury )
3 cups fresh peeled and sliced peaches, (let sit in a colander to allow natural juices to ooze out)
½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed (let sit in another colander to drain while preparing other ingredients)
½ cup sugar
I egg beaten with 2 tbsp milk for brushing
1 tablespoon Florida crystals or turbinado sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon sugar

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400°
Sprinkle 3 tbsp cornstarch on the sliced peaches and toss- make sure the pieces are coated with it
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll 1 dough portion into a 12-inch circle; place on parchment paper. Combine peaches, blueberries, and ½ cup sugar. Arrange fruit mixture in center of dough, leaving a 3-inch border. Fold edges of dough toward center, pressing gently to seal (dough will only partially cover fruit mixture). Brush the sides of the dough with the egg/milk egg wash then sprinkle with Florida crystals or turbinado sugar.
Sprinkle the top of the fruit mixture with cinnamon sugar
Bake at 400 for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove galette from oven); bake an additional 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

The galette came out really good. A lot of juice oozed out from the peaches but the cornstarch thickened it so it didn't turn out soggy at all with a nice crust. But my dough was just enough for one galette and I have so much fruit so I decided to make a cobbler. I used Bisquik flour for the batter with old fashioned oats and cinnamon sugar as toppings.



Blueberry-Peach Cobbler

Ingredients:
1 stick (8 tbsp) butter, melted
1 1/2 cups Bisquick baking mix
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
half of the fruit mixture from the galette
1/3 cup old fashioned oats
2 tbsp cinnamon sugar

Procedure:
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Melt butter in a 9-inch square baking dish or pan
Measure milk into cup. Stir in sugar until dissolved. Add vanilla.
In a bowl, stir together milk/sugar mixture and Bisquick.
Fold fruit mixture to the batter then pour over melted butter in baking pan.
Sprinkle top with old fashioned oats then cinnamon sugar
Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until golden brown.

Comments

Popular Posts