My homeboys and I almost made it ...


For lack of a better title for my post but I think it’s fitting. My team just lost to the Thunder in OKC after winning the first three quarters. They were up to a good start till they messed up in the 4th and paid heavily. Pretty much what happened to my Red Velvet Cheesecake. I started nicely and had a perfect cheesecake but my red velvet cake was not pretty to begin with. No big deal, I was going to level it anyway as I assemble the layered cake- so I thought. But for some reason, I forgot to do one important thing before I frost the cake. And those who will read this should remember this- to freeze your cake for a little bit just to firm it for smoother frosting. I did not because I was watching the game at the same time. So my cake which could have been almost perfect was specked with red velvet cake. Ah, but I could still make it better next time. My homeboys should do the same.

We're still up one game so just take the next one on Saturday and let's wrap it at home :-) while I make a flawless red velvet cheesecake next time. The recipe was adapted here with minor changes. The red velvet cake recipe is mine. I did not divide the cheesecake lest I ruin it and just sandwiched in between red velvet cake.

Red Velvet Cake

Ingredients:
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp salt
1 ½ cups vegetable oil
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
2 extra large eggs
2 tbsp red vegetable food coloring
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp distilled vinegar

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9-inch round baking pans with baking spray.
2. Whisk cake flour, cocoa and salt in a bowl.
3. Place oil and sugar in bowl of an electric mixer and beat at medium speed until well-blended. Beat in eggs one at a time. With machine on low, very slowly add red food coloring. Add vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk in two batches. Scrape down bowl and beat just long enough to combine.
4. Place baking soda in a small dish, stir in vinegar and add to batter with machine running. Beat for 10 seconds.
5. Divide batter equally between two pans and bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pans 20 minutes.

Cheesecake

Ingredients:
3 8-oz pkgs cream cheese - room temperature
1-1/3 cups sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp vanilla
3 extra large eggs
2/3 cup heavy cream

Method:

Cream together cream cheese, sugar, and cornstarch with mixer.
Add eggs and vanilla - beating until smooth.
Add cream & beat in just until combined - don’t overmix.
Pour into one of prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour and 15 minutes - watching closely near end of baking time. Cool at room temperature, then place in refrigerator for about 2 hours. Run knife around outer edge, tapping pan to remove cheesecake onto the palm of your hand. Set in refrigerator until cold.

Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:
8 oz pkg cream cheese - softened
1 1/2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup heavy cream, chilled
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

Method:
Beat cream cheese and butter together until fluffy. Add sugar and salt, then cream & vanilla. Continue to beat until smooth and it forms peaks. Set aside.

To assemble the cake:

Place first half of cake layer onto serving plate. Spread generously with a layer of frosting. Carefully place the cheesecake on top; spread some frosting on top before placing the other red velvet cake. Spread the remaining frosting on top and sides of the cake. Store in refrigerator until firm before serving.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you post up the recipe for making this red velvet cheesecake?? i want to try it! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted the recipe for you. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts